COVID19 Business Support

The Engine House Bexley are doing our best to keep you updated with the latest information.

How Has Covid19 Affected The Engine House Bexley

The Engine House have agreed that due to the ongoing situation with COVID-19, we will be making some changes to the working conditions at the Engine House and provide you with regular updates as soon as we can.

For the moment The Engine House building will be closed to the public but our team are very much still at work doing the best we can for our members and also businesses in the area.

We understand this is a very difficult time for everyone both professionally and personally, we will be offering businesses support, information and guidance.

The Engine House values our fantastic businesses and is keen to support them as much as possible through this difficult trading period, and therefore encourage them to keep a close eye on The Engine house website and social media channels for information information on supporting our local businesses.

Our thoughts go out to anyone who has been personally impacted, and we hope that you and your families are safe and well.

Business Support FAQ's

Q: Will the Council give me more time to pay for my Business Rates bill?

A: As the information is changing daily the link below will provide the latest most up to date information

Please visit:

Alternatively call 020 8315 2174

Q: What are the rules about which businesses must close due to the coronavirus outbreak?

A:On 23 March the Government, stepped up measures to prevent the spread of coronavirus and save lives. All non-essential premises must now close. Takeaway and delivery services may remain open and operational in line with guidance on Friday 20 March. Online retail is still open and encouraged and postal and delivery service will run as normal.

Visit to see which businesses and premises must remain closed.

Q: I am a restaurant or cafe – will I be allowed to provide hot food take away / delivery services to my customers?

A:The Communities Secretary has announced that planning rules have been relaxed so pubs, restaurants and cafes can operate as hot food takeaways during the coronavirus outbreak.

Q: Where can I find information on Employee issues?

A:There are many employment issues arising from the corona virus outbreak, including what to do if employees are off sick, self-isolating or caring for others, if the workplace needs to close and if an employee has corona virus symptoms at work.

ACAS have produced a comprehensive guide covering various aspects of the crisis from an Employer point of view:

ACAS can also help with specific queries by phone.

Q: Will I be reimbursed for all the days the staff member is self-isolating or is there a limit?

A:If you are a small- or medium-sized business, you may be entitled to reclaim the costs of Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) for sickness absence due to COVID-19

Q: I have closed or scaled back my business because of coronavirus. Can I claim anything on my business interruption insurance?

A:Standard business insurance policies are designed and priced to cover standard risks and are therefore very unlikely to provide cover for the effects of global pandemics like Covid-19. This includes forced closure by the authorities. Businesses may have chosen to purchase cover that will specifically provide for business interruption arising from notifiable or infectious diseases.

If you are concerned about the impacts of Covid-19 you should check the scope of your cover, and check with your insurance adviser or broker.
The Association of British Insurers has produced a helpful guide on insurance issues related to coronavirus including business interruption insurance: